There are plenty of water purifiers in the market today and it can be difficult to choose best RO purifier for your home. We understand this. Thus, we bring you 10 best water purifiers for your home. If you want to know how to choose best water purifier for your home, then you can read our buying guide for water purifiers as well.
Have a look at their best models and decide for youself which model best suits you needs.
Best 10 Water Purifiers in India 2021
|Product||Best Water Purifier||Best Copper Purifier||Best-Selling Purifier|
|Name||Kent Supreme Extra + Alkaline||HUL Pureit Copper + Mineral||Kent Grand Plus|
|Model||RO + UV + UF||RO+ UV + MF||RO + UV + UF + TDS|
|Buy Now||CHECK PRICE (AMAZON)||CHECK PRICE (AMAZON)||CHECK PRICE (AMAZON)|
Kent is among top water purifier brands in India and this is one of their superior models. It has almost all the purification features required for water in Indian geography.
It gives excellent purification owing to RO+UV+UF technology. The storage tank has UV disinfection feature which helps in constant disinfection even while the water is being stored.
- It maintains the pH between 8.5 and 9.5. This is optimum range for healthy alkaline drinking water.
- One of the best features of this filter is that it ensures ‘zero water wastage’ by recycling the excess water.
- TDS controller and Mineral RO Technology helps in retaining essential minerals necessary for human body.
- 8 Liter tank capacity is decent many households. It can be particularly helpful in areas with erratic power supply.
- It can purify 20 Liters of water in one hour. This is very efficient compared to other filters.
Key Features of Kent Supreme Extra
It comes with 7 stage purification process with RO + UV + UF. RO helps in efficient purification. UV keeps the water disinfected while UF gives additional filtration.
Kent Supreme Extra makes the water slightly alkaline so that you get the benefit of alkaline water. Alkaline water is important for healthy mind and body. It can work on water with TDS level of upto 2000 ppm. You can also control TDS of water output with the help of TDS controller.
So if you are environment conscious then this purifier is most suitable for you. You can do your bit for the environment by saving hundreds of litre of water using Kent Supreme Extra.
It has all the major purification technologies of necessary for safe and healthy drinking water. Water goes through 7 stages of purification for very high level of purification. TDS controller will help you in controlling trace elements in the purified water.
High tank capacity and water purification speed is helpful in areas with frequent power cuts. Also, Zero water wastage feature will help you in saving lot of water, which is the biggest disadvantage of RO water Purifiers.
This feature packed RO purifier is best in its category, therefore it makes number one spot in our list.
- It has very good purification efficiency
- It maintains minerals as well as alkalinity. Both essential for healthy body.
- It employs Zero water wastage to negate the biggest disadvantage of RO water purifiers.
- It comes with a UV fail Alarm that gives an alert when life of UV lamp in the storage tank is over.
- Decent storage os good for areas with erratic power supply
- The price might be a little higher than regular filters
HUL Pureit Copper+Mineral water purifier is one of the best water purifier among Pureit range of water purifiers. Its USP are modern design and a unique copper technology that infuses copper into the purified water
- This purifier comes with 8 L water tank
- It comes with 7 stage advanced purification with RO + UV +MF. RO purifies the water. UV disinfects it and MF is a pre-filter for more enhanced purification
- It has copper charge technology that dispenses copper ions into the purified water for added benefit of copper trace element
- You can choose if you want copper charges water or RO water through its dual dispensing system
- It also comes with copper auto-cleaning. This system will detect tight time to clean the copper system and automatically start the process.
Key Features of HUL Pureit Copper RO
HUL Pureit Copper water purifier is top-notch water purifier from HUL. This product has been created keeping in mind increasing demand for copper-based water purifiers for Indian customers. Copper is an essential trace element and it is also believed to kill germs.
What is Copper-charge technology? It is a system of copper cartridge which gets activated real-time to infuse copper into the purified water. This is a proprietary feature developed by Pureit that charges water with 99.8% pure copper.
Pureit has taken extra-care to develop this technology. The copper cartridge infuses precise amount of copper into the water when you press the output button.
This water purifier gives you option to choose between copper water and Non-copper water. Even though copper water tastes good but if someone in your family does not like the taste then he / she can choose to drink regular RO water.
Apart from copper, it helps retain trace elements such as calcium and magnesium which are necessary for development of mind and body.
Excellent purification, mineral infusing technology, high speed of purification and modern design make it one of the most sought-after water purifiers in India. Thus, if you want the trust of HUL and efficiency of Pureit then you should go with this purifier.
- Excellent purification with its 7 stage filtration process
- It comes with added benefits of copper
- Additional minerals are also added during filtration
- Modern design and chic black colour
- Digital touch buttons are soft-touch buttons giving better experience
- It come with filter-change alert which will alert you 15 days in advance
- Dual water system gives you options to choose non-copper water
- Price of the product is a bit higher than other water purifiers in our list
- You will not get copper water during power outages
Kent Grand is 9 L water purifier which essentially has all the features necessary for a good water purifier. 9 L capacity is very good and it comes with 20 L per hour purification speed. It is also better than money other purifiers at this range.
- It has a storage capacity of 9 L, which is quite good.
- It comes with warranty of 1 year plus three years of free extended service
- It provides excellent purification due to its RO + UV + UF technology that helps in removing almost all types of impurities such as pesticides, arsenic etc. apart from removing microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses
- It has technology that hugely minimises wastage of water by recycling the rejected water to its overhead tank. Therefore if you are environment conscious then it is perfect for you.
- Its purification speed is 20 L per hour. Again this is quite good when we compare it other purifiers in the market
Key Features of Kent Grand Plus
It comes with 7-stage filtration process just like other high-end water purifiers. This is RO + UV + UF + TDS water purifier. This is suitable for municipal water, bore-well water and other water sources with high TDS in India.
It has a high capacity of 9 L with 20 L per hour purification speed. 9 L capacity is good for even large families.
This water purifier uses UV disinfection at 2 places. First is during final process of purification. This UV treatment kills harmful germs in the water. Post this, water goes into the storage tank. Now once water is residing inside the tank, UV lamp disinfects water at regular intervals. This ensures the water is free of germs even when the you have not used the purifier for some time.
TDS controller in the water purifier helps in retaining essential minerals. You can set the TDS limit to between 80 and 150. This is generally accepted level of drinking water.
Just like other UV-based water purifiers, this UV lamp also has a life. UD lamps should not be used once its life ends. To ensure that, this water purifier comes with UF-fail alert.
It comes with 1 ear of warranty with 3 years of free service. This is pretty decent warranty time-frame. There are not many brands that can give you 4 years of warranty without any charges. According to Kent, the worth of warranty and services is INR 3000. Even though we don’t know source and accuracy of this calculation, we are sure that this is one of the most optimal warranty structures for water purifiers.
Kent is one of the most popular and reputed water purifier brands in India. And Kent Grand is one of the top models of Kent. It comes with excellent purification, resistant ABS plastic, high capacity of 9 L, Zero Water Wastage Technology, 20 L per hour purification speed. So if you want trust of Kent and good servicing along with excellent purification then you should definitely consider this water purifier.
- It gives top notch purification
- Very good purification speed along with good storage capacity
- Additional 3 years of warranty is one of the best in the industry
- ‘Zero Water Wastage’ technology reduces water wastage
- It comes with transparent cover. This makes it easy to spot any breakage in the system
- It is wall mounted, therefore if you don’t have a provision for this in your kitchen then you can consider buying other water filters
Aquaguard Aura has all the advanced features required for best water filtration and it comes with copper technology. Its sleek design is an added bonus and will go well with modern home decor.
- It has a storage capacity of 7 L, which is decent for a medium sized household
- It has feature to ‘e-boil’ water. Benefits of drinking boiled water are well documented.
- It comes with inbuilt taste controller (MTDS). This will give you good taste no matter what is the source of water for your filter.
- Aquaguard Aura also helps in essential mineral retention with help of its mineral retention technology
- This filter contains copper cartridge inside it. This cartridge regularly dissolves copper ions into the water. Copper is an essential trace element necessary for good metabolism.
Key Features of Aquaguard Aura
Aquaguard Aura filters water in 8 stages. RO + UV + MTDS. RO membrane removes dissolved impurities, while UV removes harmful microorganisms.
RO purifiers should always come with either a TDS controller or a mineralizer. Aquaguard Aura also comes with a TDS controller called MTDS. MTDS or Manual TDS controller helps in adjusting taste according to the source of water.
This copper enrichment is achieved with the help of copper cartridge. This cartridge infuses copper ions into the water regularly. Thus, after some time copper cartridges will have to be recharged. This lifespan of copper cartridge is 6000L.
This water purifier has high-end design. Metallic finish and dark colour gives it a modern and beautiful look.
It has a capacity of 7 L, which is decent for a middle sized family.
- It has a sleek design and metallic finish. Very suitable for modern homes.
- Mineral Guard technology retains calcium and magnesium in water
- It comes with copper cartridge to infuse active copper
- Unique UV e-boiling to kill germs
- If inlet water pressure is low then you will have to buy additional Booster Pump. Which you can ask Eureka Forbes technician to arrange.
This is a very popular water filter because it comes with all the goodness of Eureka Forbes at attractive pricing
- It has a capacity of 7 L
- It has chemi-bloc that reduces excess chlorine and other bio-impurities
- It is suitable for water with PPM upto 2000 ppm and you can adjust TDS levels in water manually
- It comes with MTDS. This will help in regulating taste of water
- It also has mineral cartridge. This feature is available in all the major Eureka Forbes water filters.
- It also has a UV chamber for UV filtration process. This helps disinfect water from germs and viruses.
- It has LED indicators to signal when the tank is full. It also has indicators for power-on status and purification process.
Key Features of Aquasure Delight
Aquasure Delight is one of the most popular water purifiers in the market right now. You ask why? Reason is its feature packed system that comes at attractive pricing. It employs 6 stage purification which includes RO + UV + MTDS processes.
It comes with Mineral cartridge. This cartridge infuses essential minerals into the water. This is important because RO filtration removes all the elements necessary for healthy development of body. This cartridge removes organic impurities and helps in delivering water with balanced pH levels. Life of the cartridge is 6000 L which is decent for a mid sized family.
This purifier will work on water with TDS of upto 2000 ppm. This is similar to almost all high-end water purifiers in the market. MTDS regulates the taste of water. This TDS regulation is a manual process and should be taken care of during the time of installation. It is a simple activity and the service technician can set the TDS within 5 minutes.
It also has smart indicators. Power-on indicator, Purification-on indicator and Tank full status indicator. You can view these indicators easily even from a distance of 15 to 20 feet.
This water purifier comes with high end purification at attractive pricing. It is equipped with almost all the necessary purification technologies such as UV, UF, Carbon filter. Moreover, taste adjuster and mineralizer remove the drawbacks of RO purification.
Flexibility of installation is another great feature. This, combined with the benefit of compact design, this purifier is one of the best purifiers that you can buy in the market today.
- It comes with chic design and attractive pricing
- It gives flexibility of installation
- MTDS along with mineralizer retain trace elements
- Chemi-block helps in removing odour and taste
- Indicator lights give easy alerts
- Decent life of mineral cartridge ensures lesser maintenance cost
- It is compact and light in weight
- It does not have an alert for filter change
Havells Max Alkaline is a popular water filter in Alkaline water filter segment. Along with efficient purification, it has an added benefit of unique and modern design.
- This filter comes with RO+UV technology and can maintain alkaline balance between 8 and 10 pH.
- It has mineral fortification technology that retains essential minerals necessary for staying healthy.
- It comes with Revitalizer that gives magnetized water. This process helps in between water absorption of water as well as minerals present in it.
- The filter removes almost all the impurities. Giving the filtered water no bas taste or smell
- It comes with a warranty of 1 year and has a capacity of 7 Litres
Key Features of Havells Max Alkaline
It is a 7 stage RO + UV water purifier. This ensures safe and pure drinking water.
It comes with ‘Mineralz’ cartridge. This mineralizer has many functions. It senses and optimises the pH of water so that it is slightly alkaline in nature. It also adds all the natural mineral and essential elements. It also helps in maintaining a natural taste of water.
It features Revitalizer technology. This tech restructures the water molecules and to make it biologically active. This improves hydration and mineral absorption.
IProtect purification monitoring technology cuts off water when it senses that water is not safe to drink. This ensures that you don’t drink non-purified water by accident.
Havells Max water purifier can work in a decent voltage range of 170 V to 330 V. Also, It automatically shuts off of voltage goes more than 330 Volts or less than 170 Volts. So, if you are living in areas with high voltage fluctuation then you can consider buying this water purifier.
It also comes with Zero Splash Faucet. It is a soft-touch faucet that helps in reducing water splash and ensures smooth flow of water.
7 stage purification involving RO, UV, Mineralz, Revitalizer ensures very good purification. First unique feature is its design that allows 3-way mounting. Moreover it is compact, thus it will save lot of space for you. Second unique feature is its pleasing display with self diagnostics ability to check for any failure in UV, SV or pump.
All these features come in attractive pricing. It is therefore one of the most popular water purifiers in its category.
- RO + UV + Alkaline tech + mineral fortification
- It has a unique 3 way mount design
- It comes with self diagnostics feature
- Is has a decent flow rate of upto 15 L per hour
- Its advanced voltage fluctuation guard protects it from high fluctuations
- Mineralz and Revitalizer cartridges reinvigorate the goodness of water
- Tank capacity is slightly lesser than other water filters in the list
Bluestar Aristo is a popular water filter that comes with excellent purification. Launched in 2018, this is a robust product and comes with many features
- Double layered RO + UV protection gives very good purification
- It features Aqua taste boosters to maintain optimum pH
- It has a large filter for faster purification
- It comes with 7 L storage tank
- It also comes with child lock function
- It has copper impregnated active carbon to remove bad taste and odour
- It comes with 3 LED indicators for ease of use
Key Features of Blue Star Aristo
Bluestar Aristo is stylish purifier that comes with 6 stage water purification. It employs RO and UV filtration to give double protection. RO membrane is placed between pre-carbon filter and post-carbon filter to enhance the purification process. It features UV lamp to destroy virus and bacteria.
This water purifier uses calcite media in its Aqua taste booster to enhance the taste of water. Calcite is naturally occurring calcium carbonate (highly pure limestone). It helps remove acidic nature of water by dissolving small amount of calcium carbonate. This is perfectly safe and almost natural way to improve the pH of water.
It also comes with a large 10 inch filter. Its large size helps in efficient purification.
It is one of the most elegant looking water purifiers in the market. And it comes in both black colour and white colour that will suite contemporary kitchens. So, if you are looking for a good water purifier along with excellent looks then you should consider this water purifier.
It also features a child lock system. This is a button on the tap that ensures no accidental water wastage takes place.
- It is a modern and stylish purifier
- It comes with Aqua taste booster to improve tase and pH of water
- Activated carbon removes odour and other organic impurities
- It has a useful low pressure indicator
- It does not have an alert for filter change
HUL Pureit Advanced Pro Mineral is another popular water purifier from HUL. This filter is a value for money and comes with mineral fortification technology.
- It comes with a capacity of 7 L
- This purifier comes with automatic power saving mode that goes into standby once it sense that the tank is full.
- It is made of food grade plastic. This is better quality plastic with higher durability.
- It gives mineral enriched water. Calcium and Magnesium are infused into the purified water. These trace elements are necessary for development of human body.
- It comes with a warranty of 1 year
Key Features of Pureit Advanced Pro
HUL Pureit Advanced Pro is a 6 stage water purifier. It employs RO for efficient purification and UV for killing microorganisms.
It works really well even with water from different sources like borewell, tanker, municipality. Like all other high end water purifiers, this also can be used with water of TDS upto 2000 ppm.
It is a 7 Litre water purifier which is decent capacity for a mid-sized family. Also, its purification speed is upto 12 L per hour which is decent enough.
Since this water purifier does not have a TDS controller, it removes all the heavy metals and the water is 100% pure.
This is because TDS water purifiers add small amount of impure water to purified water to maintain specific TDS. However a mineralizer water purifier (such as HUL Pureit advanced Pro Mineral) does not add any impure water but adds additional minerals to enrich water with essential elements.
Since water from this purifier is 100% pure, it is free from harmful heavy metals. Thus, it is 100% pure water containing essential trace elements.
Pureit range of water purifiers are high end filters. thus, customers are usually ready to pay higher price for Pureit water purifier. But with advancement of purification technology, HUL has now been able to bring extremely efficient purifiers at lower prices.
This water purifiers has all most of the features required for water in Indian conditions. Only drawback is the absence of different indicators that other water purifiers have.
- Excellent 6 stage purification at attractive pricing
- It comes with energy saving mode
- It comes with voltage fluctuation guard to ensure safety
- It is made up of durable food grade plastic
- It is suitable for water from almost all possible sources
- It does not come with indicators like some other water purifiers
This water purifier was launched in 2019 owing to increase in demand of alkaline water purifiers in India.
This product works on 7 stage purification process and comes with Aqua Taste Booster for enhanced taste.
- It has capacity of 8 L
- It comes with RO + UV + UF purification technology for effective purification.
- It comes with ‘immunoboost technology’ that helps in maintaining Alkalinity level of water
- While RO is responsible for removing impurities, UV helps in removing microorganisms
- It has ‘Copper Impregnated Activated Carbon’ that enhances the anti-microbial and anti-oxidation process of RO
- It has ‘tank full’ indicator and ‘purification on’ indicator for ease of use
Key Features of Blue Star Opulus
It comes with triple layered RO+UV+UF protection. RO helps in filtering dissolved impurities, germs, arsenic pesticide etc, while UV destroys harmful very small microorganisms. UF (Ultrafiltration) performs additional purification.
This is a 7 stage purification process that includes pre-sediment filter, pre-carbon filter, sediment filter, RO membrane and post-carbon filter with Immunoboost technology (IBT), UV lamp and UF membrane.
Bluestar Opulus water purifier produces alkaline antioxidant water. Purified water is made alkaline by improving pH of water to slightly higher than 7. While Antioxidant water detoxifies body and improves immune system.
Since it can handle water with TDS level of 2000 ppm, it is suitable for water from almost all possible sources such as bore well water, tubewell water, municipal water, pond water, soft water, well water.
It comes with decent purification capacity of around 12 L per hour. This is possible because it uses efficient RO membrane.
It also has tank full indicator to alert you when the tank is full. When this signal gives you alert, you can switch off the power supply to save electricity. It also has a purification on indicator to signal purification process.
Bluestar Opulus water purifier belongs to high-end Alkaline Oxidant range of water purifiers. These water purifiers are designed to ensure best purification along with providing benefits of alkaline water to boost your immune system.
Bluestar Opulus is a top-notch water purifier in this range and it comes with all the necessary features to get highly purified water. It comes with decent capacity of 8 Liters, 7 stage purification equipped with immunoboost tech, alkaline water technology and it employs decent warranty structure. Thus this makes a cut in out top 10 best water purifiers
- 7 stage filtration process for effective purification
- It comes with free external filter
- HRRO membrane prevents water wastage
- It is made up of good quality food-grade plastic
- It has decent warranty structure
- It has good purification capacity of 12 L per hour
- There is no indicator for UV fail
- It is made of virgin food grade ABS plastic
- It comes with RO + SCMT technology
- It has hot water and cold water options
- It features 10 L capacity, which is high
- It comes with soft touch buttons
- It has a mineralizer to replenish water with minerals
- It has technology to reduce water wastage
- It comes with alert for membrane fail and filter fail
- Warranty period is 1 year
Key Features of AO Smith Z9
A. O. Smith Green Z9 water purifier features comprehensive 8 stage water purification. These 8 stages are : Pre-filter + Sediment filter + Carbon block + Advance Recovery Technology + Side Stream RO Membrane + Mineraliser Technology + ZX Double Protection Dual Filter.
Usually high-ends water purifiers have 6 or 7 stages of purification. But this water purifier comes with 8 stages. This additional stage is SCMT – Silver Charged Membrane Technology. This ensures zero potential secondary contamination once water passes through the RO membrane. This double protection ensures 100% pure water.
SCMT is single replacement for UV, UF and MF technologies. It has anti bacterial features of UV, It removes particulates and endotoxins just like MF and it also removes colloids like UF and on top this it removes phosphates and further reduces chemicals.
This water purifier features MIN-TECH (Mineraliser Technology) that adds essential trace minerals to water. This gives water fresh natural taste, and ensures balanced pH levels. Balanced pH is necessary for healthy mind and body.
Usually, one of the big disadvantages of RO purifiers is that they waste lot of water. This RO water purifier comes with Advanced Recovery Technology. This tech helps in recovering more water as compared to other RO water purifiers.
AO Smith is one of the largest brands in the world for water-based appliances. This American multinational one of the most trusted brands in water purifiers as well.
It comes with advanced SCMT technology that replaces UV/UF/MF and gives better filtration. On top of it this water purifier is stylish in design and comes with almost all the features required for homes with high-end interiors. AO Smith is a premium water purifier thus commanding higher price tag.
This water purifier reduces water wastage as well. So, if you are environment conscious then this will be a good fit for you.
Thus, if you want an ultra-modern water purifier with superior purification that does not harm the environment then you should consider buying it.
- It comes with modern design and features
- It has hot water and cold water options
- It comes with child-lock near hot water display
- It has a high capacity of 10 L
- It reduces wastage of water
- It has higher price tag
Buying Guide – Best Water Purifier for Home Use
Going through the pointers mentioned below will help you in buying best water purifier for your home that will work for years. Let’s see what are these crucial factors:
1. Source of water
This is the most important factor to consider while buying a new water purifier for your home or office. Common water sources in India are
- Municipal Corporation Supply
If you are reading this then it is likely that water supply in your home is not from a lake or a pond.
Borewell water is the most difficult to purify because it has high amount of impurities (TDS). While, rivers and lakes is mostly contain soft water. Municipal corporation can be either hard or soft depending on the region.
Every water source comes with its own impurities that require different types of purification.
|Water Source||Common Impurities|
|Municipal Corporation||Rust, bacteria, virus, sand, mud, chlorine|
|Borewell or Groundwater||Sand, dissolved salts, minerals such as calcium, magnseium, heavy metals, mud and so on|
|Rivers||Mud, dissolved salts, heavy metals such as lead, mercury, chemicals sucha s arsenic, sand and others|
|Lake or Ponds||Sand, algae, mud,cysts, bacteria, virus, cysts, algae etc.|
2. Level of TDS
Knowing TDS level of water is the first thing to do if you want to purchase a water purifier. This is because TDS level will decide which type of water purifier you should buy.
TDS (or Total Dissolved Solids) is the concentration of dissolved content in water. These can be natural minerals and salts such as calcium, magnesium etc or harmful heavy metals and chemicals such as lead and mercury, arsenic, nickel.
These dissolved solids can pass through 2 micro-meter (or microns). It means that filters with pores of up to 2 microns cannot reduce TDS.
How to find TDS of water?
TDS can be found by TDS meters that you can buy at low price online.
If you don’t want to buy a TDS meter then we will suggest you a hack. You can call any water purifier brand and ask for their sales representative for a home-visit. They will come with a TDS meter. You can use this device to find out TDS of you home water.
|TDS (Mg/Ltr)||WHO Recommendation|
|300 to 500||Suitable for human consumption|
|500 to 900||Not suitable for consumption|
|900 to 1200||Unfit for human consumption|
Please note that the above table is useful only when you water does not have heavy metal pollution.
3. Type of TDS
Once you have determined level of TDS, you should find concentration of harmful impurities such as heavy metals because even small quantity of these impurities can be harmful.
How to find concentration of heavy metals?
Finding concentration of heavy metals requires sending sample to a water testing lab or a professional. But everyone does not have time and resources to get water tested in labs.
We suggest you to consider water of your area as polluted with heavy metals if you are living in these area:
- Agricultural region known for abuse of chemical fertilizers and pesticides
- Industrial region (including mining, foundries, smelting, and other metal-based operations) with history of land and water pollution
- Region near large large dump-yards
- Areas near pharmaceutical companies
Now, if your water contains heavy metals, you should buy RO water purifiers only because other technologies are not suitable for filtering these super-fine impurities.
Now let’s see how impurities and the TDS level of the water will determine which type of water purifier you should buy.
4. Water Purification Technology
There are many types of water purifiers in Indian market. And the technologies are also used in combination with each other. If you want to learn more about water technologies you can read about types of water purifiers.
Here is a quick overview of 3 types of most popular technologies.
|Features||RO Technology||UV Technology||UF Technology|
|Kills Bacteria and Virus||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Remove dead Bacteria and Virus from water||Yes||No||Yes|
|Remove dissolved toxins||Yes||No||No|
|Works with dirty turbid water||Yes||No||Yes|
As discussed above, choosing ideal water purifier will depend on TDS level and content of the TDS. Water can contain dirt and microorganisms such as bacteria. Since RO water purifier works using different technologies, below table shows which purification technology to use based on TDS level.
|TDS Value||Turbid water||Bacteria||Ideal purifier|
|Below 300 PPM||No||Yes||UV|
|Below 300 PPM||Yes||Yes||UV+UF|
|Over 300 ppm||No||No||RO water Purifier|
+ TDS controller
|Over 300 ppm||Yes||Yes||RO+UV+UF purifier|
+ TDS controller
5. Purification Capacity
Purification capacity (also called flow rate) is the amount of water purified in an hour. RO water purifiers have slowest water purification speed because filtration through RO membrane takes time. UV and UF/MF filtration are much faster. You can read about difference between RO, UV, UF and MF here.
Most of the RO water purifiers come with purification capacity of 12 liters / hour to 15 liters per hour. And this is sufficient for most of the households.
Few high-end RO water purifiers also have higher purification capacity ranging of 20 liters per hour. While other purification capacity of non-RO filters can be higher than 60 liters per hour.
6. Storage Capacity
Most of the water purifiers come with a storage tank to store purified water. If you live in areas with frequent electricity cuts then you should this can be useful for you.
For a medium sized family, 6 to 7 litres of storage capacity is sufficient.
Also, some UV-based water purifiers do not have a water tank. Water purifiers usually have a storage capacity between 7 litres and 10 litres.
7. Material of tank
Material of tank are usually of 3 types. Regular plastic, ABS food-grade plastic and stainless steel.
Stainless steel is considered best material but such type of water purifiers are costlier and require constant maintenance.
ABS food grade plastic comes close second and are the preferred choice of most of the RO water purifier manufacturers.
You should avoid tanks made up of regular plastic because they can leak harmful chemicals into water over time.
8. TDS Controller
TDS controller is a device on RO water purifiers to regulate level of TDS. You can change the TDS level according to you need. A TDS between 70 to 150 is usually recommended level. 0 TDS is not recommended because it will remove essential elements and salts from water, while higher TDS will mean higher impurities
9. Sediment Filter
A water purifier should have sediment filter to remove particulate matter. Many water purifiers come with free external sediment filter as well.
Advantages of Sediment Filter
- It removes particulate matter such as dirt, inorganic impurities
- It improves the life of RO water purifiers by removing particles before it reached RO membrane
- It is useful in case of borewell water because that is not pre-treated
10. Alerts and Automatic Features
Water purifiers come with different types of useful indicators such as tank full indicator, water level indicator, UV lamp fail indicator, filter replacement indicator, purification on indicator.
Some of the water purifiers also have other features such as sound functionality to alert you with a beep sound when the tank is full, auto shut off feature to switch off tank automatically when the tank is full.
11. Type of Installation
Water purifiers can be mounted on a wall or placed on the kitchen counter. There are water purifiers that give flexibility of installation as well ie they are wall mountable as well as can be placed on kitchen counter. Such water purifiers can be purchased first and you can choose to place them based on your need and preferences.
Wall mounted water purifier
- It gives more room for other stuff in your kitchen
- It can be easily hidden inside cabinets thus they are good for home decor
- It is light weight
- It is more difficult to install and you need a dedicated area for it if you want it to be hidden in the cabinet
Table-top water purifier
- It provides ease of installation and removal
- It takes valuable kitchen space
- It is usually heavier in weight
Under the counter water purifier
- It saves space just like wall mounted water purifier
- It has higher flow rate because of in-built hydrostatic tank
- It doesn’t spill water
- It is more difficult to install and remove
You can get water purifiers starting from INR 1,500 to even upwards of INR 30,000. RO water purifiers are costlier because they provide best purification. Typically water purifiers with more purification technologies will have higher price.
For example, RO water purifier will be usually costlier than UV/UF based water purifiers. And RO+UV+UF water purifiers will be usually costlier than RO+UV purifier.
13. Warranty and After-Sales Service
Water purifiers require decent amount of after-sales service. Therefore you should buy from reputed brands. Most of the water purifiers come with 1 year of warranty. So, if you are getting warranty of less than 1 year then you should avoid purchasing that product. Also, some water purifiers such as many Kent water purifiers come with free extended servicing for additional 3 years.
- Best UV Water Purifiers
- Best Water Purifiers under 10,000
- Best Hot and Cold Water Purifier
- Ways to Use RO Waste Water
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which type of water purifier is the best?
There is no single best water purifier out there. It depends on many factors such as TDS levels, level of heavy metals, pathogens, budget etc. However, it is recommended to use RO water purifier if heavy metals are present in your water because heavy metals are harmful even in very small quantities. If heavy metals are not present and TDS of water is less than 300-500, then you can also use non-RO water purifiers.
Which is the best water purifier brand in India?
Kent, HUL Pureit, Eureka Forbes, AO Smith are some of the best brands for water purifiers in India. They have built trust among Indian consumers over a long period of time. It means that the chances of facing issues with their products is quite less. And in case you face any problems, you should be able to resolve with the help of dedicated teams meant for customer satisfaction.
How to shop for water purifier online?
Before buying water purifiers online, you should go through the online reviews and read buying guide for water purifier. You should purchase water purifiers from trusted ecommerce stores and of reputed brands so that you get hassle-free delivery and after sales services.
Why is RO purifier banned in some European countries?
There are two reasons for this. Firstly, RO filtration system wastes 50% to 75% water. This makes an impact on the environment and thus it may not be good for our planet in the long run. Secondly, standalone RO purifiers remove essential trace elements such as calcium and magnesium, therefore many RO water purifiers come with a TDS controller or a mineralizer. These technologies removes the second drawback.
However, RO is the only technology currently in use for home water purifiers that can remove extremely harmful impurities such as heavy metals. And according to data published by Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation around 50% units (blocks, mandals etc.) in India are contaminated with with heavy metals such as Arsenic, Fluoride, Chlorine, Nitrate and/or Salinity.
What is the difference between RO and UV water purifier?
RO water purifier removes harmful impurities such as pesticides, arsenic, nitrates apart from removing bacteria and virus. While UV only kills microorganisms such as bacteria and virus and does not remove any impurities.
RO water purifiers cannot work without electricity and are costlier. It is typically advisable to use standalone RO purifier when TDS of your water is higher than 300-500. UV water purifiers are cheaper and can run without electricity. You can use them for water with TDS of almost any levels.